Monday, February 8, 2010

Unshopping

The following was shared with friends and family early on in January. Some folks have asked me to include this idea of "unshopping" in my blog, so here goes...

One cold morning several years ago I was getting ready to leave my house and go into town. It was close to Christmas and when I opened the closet to grab a bag, I was struck by the number of shopping bags I had accumulated from the various stores. Of course, these bags also represented all the "stuff" I had accumulated from shopping.

I suddenly had the idea to go "unshopping."

I ran up to my bedroom and chose two sweaters that I had not yet worn. I wrapped them in tissue paper (upscale dept store style) and put them in one of the shopping bags. My goal was to "unshop" finding the right home for the sweaters.

I did this before the Ladies' Room at Suburban had been renovated. There was a little ante-room where some of the women I now see at The Welcome Center would change their clothes or just hang out. A little table was in the bathroom. I laid out the sweaters and began talking with the women, as if we were shopping together. It was not long before the sweaters were tried on and claimed. I had "unshopped." This felt so much better than shopping.

I shared this story with my previous congregation at St. Michael's and encouraged folks to unshop in other ways. Soon it became habit to carry with me an extra pair of gloves or a hat when I went into town. I met so many folks through this experience. I also began to make an extra lunch. Sometimes I would sit down with my lunchmate and we would eat together; but even if I was off running somewhere, there was always someone who appreciated the lunch.

During this particularly cold time of year and following a time when so many of us have been given more than we could ever use, I invite you to "unshop." Carry that extra pair of mittens, scarf, blanket, perfume, book or whatever it is that you might share with someone you meet in your travels. Make an extra lunch or share those Christmas cookies and a cup of tea and maybe a hello with someone you meet who is struggling. Use your judgement and respect a person's privacy. And if you are shy about talking to someone you haven't yet met, I can help you unshop through The Welcome Center and The Welcome Church.

I know that those who are reading this already do so much for so many. I know your compassion and generosity, and I know the thought of seeing folks cold or hungry brings you pain.

So, I give thanks for knowing so many good folks. feel free to share you experiences of "unshopping." I know that through the people I have met, I have received so much more than I ever could have given.

With love as we near the feast of St. Valentine!
violet

No comments:

Post a Comment