Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Stroll Through the Park--Part Two

So, if you didn't read the other part first, do that.

Coming from one meeting tonight and headed back to Sansom Street for another, I once again walk through the park.

"Hey, Pastor!" I hear from somewhere behind me.

Tim and Bill wave me over. I often see them this time on a Tuesday late afternoon sitting together. And usually they are discussing whatever text we used at the Tuesday Church service earlier that day. They are quite the theologians. I walk over to chat.

As it turns out, Tim and I overlapped at St. Joe's. We talk about pets, kids, and then Tim wants to know if I ever get tired of hearing so many problems. It was a heavy meeting day and I had our summer intern, Jen, covering today's service. I start to wonder if he is feeling abandoned.
I explain how I am energized by being with people and he smiles.

Tim has decided to study Latin. Earlier I told him he could use my Cassell's Latin Dictionary, if he'd like. He takes out a pen and paper and writes me a reminder note to bring in my Latin book for him on Friday. they wave to another friend coming from behind. It is Shorty, also known as Joel.

Shorty comes up to me and says, "I see you everywhere...even when you are not looking, I still see you showing up!"

"Not such a bad thing to do, " I think, "just show up."

Shorty takes a watch out from his pocket.

"Someone gave me this," he said. "It's a woman's watch and since I'm not with anyone right now, you're the only woman I know."

Shorty gives me the watch. Bill and Tim comment that he has given me some "bling."

It's getting near the time of my meeting so I move on.

A little bit farther down and almost out of the park I see Marilyn and Jeff.

Jeff, a resident Welcome Center artist , is sitting on a bench giving art lessons to Marilyn, one of our volunteers.

"Got a minute?" she asks.

I go over and she shows me her sketchbook. The work that she and Jeff are doing is lovely.

I want to join them in the play.

But I have to go to a meeting.

And I realize that what I told Tim was absolutely true...I have been energized by my friends in the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment