Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Stroll Through the Park

Today I took a stroll through Rittenhouse Park. Not such an unusual thing to do on a summer day. But today's stroll was different; I was walking with a married couple who had just shared tea with me at The Welcome Center. They were not from Philadelphia; but they had no home.

He was staying at the Ridge Shelter, and she had spent last night at LOVE Park. She was offered shelter in West Philadelphia and was concerned that having no money for fares, she would not get to see her husband. And I 'm sure there was more to the story--but, for now, I knew that she was sleeping in a park known for heavy drug activity. And I was worried for her safety.

So we took a walk through Rittenhouse Park.

I introduced her and her husband to several of my Welcome Church friends who hung out in the park. A number of the folks there were wearing the Ecclesia cross we give out---a sign of the God who never leaves them, but also a symbol of connection to the community of Welcome Church. "Go to these folks if you need anything," I said.

I told them about the early morning AA meeting at Holy Trinity. Coffee, and danish and a bathroom if you need it...and it couldn't hurt to sit in the meetings.

Then I pointed out the places that were "bathroom friendly" like Cosi's and Barnes and Noble.
"One of the security guards there used to be homeless," I said, "she's especially understanding."

And then I showed her St Patrick's Church with its little alcove . I heard the priest let some folks sleep there last winter.

I knew I could help her with clothes and toiletries. That part was easy. And I offered my cell phone for them to make any calls, making sure they knew the 24 hour hotline number to outreach.

Such a a strange walk through the park; one that any of us should never have to make because no one should be sleeping in a park.

So now it's after midnight and I think of her and wonder if she is safe or getting enough to drink in this very hot and humid weather.

I would rather have been able to point her to a home where she could sleep soundly next to her husband. I would rather have been able to point him to a job because he wants so badly to work.
I would rather have them united with their kids, now staying with relatives.

But today, all I could do was walk with them...taking a stroll in the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment