Monday, January 11, 2010

Bridge Over Troubled Waters

When I was in college, ther was a very popular Simon and Garfunkel song called "Bridge Over Troubled Waters." It started out with these words,
"When you're weary...feelin' small
when tears are in your eyes
I will dry them all."
I loved this song, especially the image of someone being my "Bridge Over Troubled Waters."

This week, however, a dear friend sent me a favorite Bible passage:
Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name, you are mine.
When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and through the rivers,
they shall not overwhelm you… Isaiah 43:1-2

I like this even better than what Simon and Garfunkel had to offer. I like it better because what I have learned since my college days is that there will always be times of "troubled waters" and that the way to get ot the other side of them isn't so much about "getting over" them as it is about "going through."

So this is the promise we are given. That even going through the most troubled waters, we will never be alone.

Maybe the next time we hear someone say that they are "goin' through it" we can be the voice that echoes the prophet.

No comments:

Post a Comment