Friday, January 8, 2010

The We in Me...

Last night I had a dream that I was on retreat with some of the folks from The Welcome Center.
This was not so much of a stretch since myself and eight other women did go on retreat together several weeks ago to Cranaleith Spiritual Center. In my dream, however, we were directed to a recovery group known as "The We in Me."

As someone who is a psychotherapist and has extensively studied psychoanalysis, I must admit that this sounds a little like multiple personalities. Reflecting upon my dream, however, I came to realize that it is difficult separating out the work I have done these past three years as Founder and Director of The Welcome Center and now moving into the position of Pastor of The Welcome Church.

The fact is that it is impossible to separate the mind from the body and the body from the soul. A person who is hungry might have a very difficult time participating a Bible study. At the same time, The Welcome Church evolved because a full belly was not enough to hang on to during those long nights on the street.

I remember coming back from a "Come and See" weekend in Cambridge where The Reverend Debbie Little, founder of Ecclesia Ministries and The Common Cathedral in Boston first place the Ecclesia cross around my neck. I brought one back for each of our volunteers at The Welcome Center and for any of the guests who asked for one. One person told me later that week that the cross was a way for her to carry us with her during the night. Another person wore it when admitted to the hospital and would not let anyone take it off. A seminarian who worked with us said that he hung his over the mirror, so that he would always see the cross in his reflection reminding him that he was a child of God.

So, what does it mean as I transition from Director to Pastor when I never actually stopped being Pastor?

Some days, like today, I will be helping someone get into a respite.

Some days, like today, I will be serving tea and sharing birthday cake.

and some days, like today, I will be praying with someone struggling to get clean from using drugs.

But always, I pray that everything I do speaks of the God who loves us and wants no one to be homeless or hungry or lonely.

So, I am guessing that the "We in Me" is about all the different parts of who I am as a pastor...therapist...and everything else...all held together as one child of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment