Wednesday, January 13, 2010

We Have a Drummer!

"Behold...I will do something new..." Isaiah 43

Since last Tuesday was our first service together in the new year, I read the above text from Isaiah and asked the question, "What new thing would you hope for in this year?"

The answers varied and were thoughtful. As we continued to share, I could feel the hope growing in the room. One person, a quiet and gentle young man with a smile that gave as much light as our candles, spoke about playing the drums. He said that he had played since he was five and that he drummed and sang for several different churches. I became quite excited and asked if he would play for us and he said he would really like that. I didn't know how, but I assured him the drums would come.

That was Tuesday.

The following Monday I was talking with someone who said, "Could you use a set of drums?"
She had not known about the conversaion at Tuesday Church; rather, she was cleaning out some things and had a set of drums!

Now, you have to believe me that I don't usually get such offers. Usually, I get offers of coats or socks or household things for people moving into apartments. But drums?

They were delivered on Tuesday, in time for me to announce this gift at yesterday's service, and I did notice a few new folks when they heard this series of events. Folks thought it was nothing short of a miracle. And it was...but no less a miracle than having this young man speak of his dream and share what he needed to make that happen.

My challenge was not to have folks look upon God as a divine Santa Claus...at the same time, I do believe that God really, really wants us to use our gifts and to find joy in sharing those gifts with others. In fact, I believe God was as excited as we were when one generous person thought to share these drums with us in a place where a drummer was ready to drum! And I could see new things happening, not only for our drummer, but for each one of us at The Welcome Church.

At the end of yesterday's service, our drummer asked if he could also sing next week and teach us a song he used to sing at his other churches. I was thrilled.

So we have a drummer, and we have drums!

Okay...now for the keys and bass....and the choir...

and whatever new surprises God has in store for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment